Saturday 25 February 2017

A Century of Sketches


Why do you do all these drawings? What is it for? Don’t you get bored? To answer these questions many people have asked me when I show them a sketch I made. I draw to pass my time, it is for me to be creative, and about the boredom?
Heath Ledger as The Joker

 
Well, I started drawing only due to me feeling bored in the vacation post my S.S.C. exams.  What made me think of wanting to draw? As many people go for a vacation, or read a book, or learn a sport (I did those things too). The part in Titanic where Jack goes and explains his drawings to Rose the morning after he saved her from drowning and the part where he is sketching her with the Heart of the Ocean are what motivated me(the Titanic Piano Instrumental theme would play in my head during the initial few drawings) to draw. The first drawing was of Captain America on 7th April, 2013.

Then later on when I had a few drawings completed, I made a Facebook album called Sketches and started posting them there. Few people liked it, some told me to stop as I was wasting paper! Some even said that the kid’s section drawings in the newspapers were better. I didn’t bother, I was bored, I wanted to draw stuff and post it online, it was my account, my paper, my pencil so I just carried on. It was in the 12th standard Diwali vacation that I began to make sketches that I was proud off like.....
 You post so often. How do you draw so fast?
How do I draw so fast? I don't draw fast! I do about 5-10 drawings during the few months in which there are no posts and then I post them on consecutive days or after a couple of days. My drawings do not happen in 1 day. They take a lot of time.
                                                     
                                                                    

                                                    

The Swan Queen
 
 


Itachi Uchiha

 

 Post the 12th, Diwali vacations, I started drawing 2 characters in one piece of paper, a sort of evolution as I felt drawing only portraits of 1 character was boring.
Belle and The Beast
 

People asked me how do I choose what to draw? Firstly its people/characters that I like. My first sketch was of Captain America, and then I drew Roger Federer, Willy Wonka and Jack Sparrow.

Then as I got hooked onto T.V. shows I started sketching characters like Moriarty, Hannibal, The Penguin and Fish Moony . I had a Batman Villains sequence as well as I made Ra’s Al Ghul, Catwoman, The Riddler, Bane and The Joker (recently in 2017 I added Poison Ivy and The Two-Face to that list)
The Penguin
 
Jim Carrey as The Riddler
 

Following that I started drawing iconic scenes of Disney Renaissance era (Belle and the Beast dancing, Aladin and Jasmine on the magic carpet ride, Ariel on the rock beneath the sea, Mulan, Pocohontas, The Genie, Lady and the Tramp spaghetti scene, Hakuna Matata)
Ariel on the rock
 
Hakuna Matata
 
Lady and the Tramp Spaghetti scene
 
 
 There have also been multiple characters that I haven’t been able to draw and have had to abandon the attempt like The Scarecrow, The Na’vi from Avatar and Iron Man just to name a few.

Out of the 99 uploaded till now only 3 have some sort of colour in them, the rest are purely pencil shading work. Why? In school I would always love pencil shading work, and would get good marks in the drawing subject in school as well, but, the pencil shading and the still-life assignment got me good reviews. Also it was because I would never like to carry a bulky box of crayons or paints to school. Also pencil work is easy to correct and can be rubbed easily unlike paint.

Some people ever since I started numbering the sketches starting from no.94 began asking me which one was my favourite one. I don’t really have a favourite one as it wouldn’t have been uploaded if it wasn’t a favourite. But I decided to look back and I loved The Joker, Fa Mulan, The Swan Queen.
 
 

What kept me going for four years? Well I just enjoyed drawing, and then enjoyed getting appreciated. Will I continue after no.100? Absolutely, but not really soon.

What will no.100 be? A really big figure in the entertainment Industry is what I’m hoping to successfully pull off, but you never know, this one could join the list of ones I haven’t been able to pull off. I want to be able to pull it off. I hope I can.
Cheers
-Reubyn RF

 

2 comments: