Sunday 16 July 2017

Monsoon moments


There’s just something magical about the Mumbai monsoon right? We all would associate monsoons with shopping for a new raincoat or umbrella and trooping off to school after a two month summer break. Almost everyone has a memory of that one football match in their building compound or the ground. For me, it was tennis practice in the heavy rains (we had a synthetic court and apparently playing with a heavy wet ball would increase wrist strength, i would hit a slice which would cause the ball to spin and release droplets off water with every rotation, making it seem like a chakra floating through the air) Those who come to Mumbai to study or work invariably end up visiting the tourist hotspots in pouring rain, or maybe they take that first ride in a Mumbai local with heavy rain lashing the metallic body of the train.
A day in June 2015 is what comes to my mind when someone talks about the magical monsoon moments.
I had made the final list of the minority quota for the Mass Media course at St. Xavier’s College. I had paid the fees the previous day but, due to an office staff absentee, I wasn't able to pull out my documents which I had submitted for the BA course. They told me to complete the formalities, the following day.

My friend and I set off from Borivali at about 8 am on a cloudy day. I had forgotten my umbrella and the rain gods had mercifully stayed away whilst I commuted from my house to the station. I was sweet talked into getting on a train which started from Virar, at 8 am (which is one reason why I remember this day as it was the first time I had boarded a train commencing from Virar during the morning rush-hour) A slight drizzle welcomed us as we alighted near Charni Road, but it wasn’t really heavy so as to make people open their umbrellas.
We went to his uncle’s place near Charni Road and then set off on a bike to Wilson's College where he had taken admission in the BMS course. He checked the time table over there. Whilst we were inside, it started raining heavily and the wind picked up. My friend, as he was the rider had to wear a helmet. As pillion rider, I could travel without a helmet and I did not bother to put up the hood of the windcheater. We set off to Xavier’s and within seconds, I was drenched.

 It poured cats and dogs as we sped along the Marine Drive, zig zagging between vehicles. I sneaked a glance to my right and saw the waves of the Arabian Sea spraying into the air. They must have been smashing into the boulders with tremendous force.

The heavy raindrops smashed against my skin, I could barely keep my eyes open but I did sneak another glance, this time at the speedometer and saw the needle veering near the 80 kmph mark. We missed our turning and sped along towards Churchgate. He yelled out to me, "let’s take another round." I was totally on board with it. We took another round and this time and turned left and took the Princess Street flyover. The rain persisted, but the wind wasn't as powerful.  My windcheater had proved useless as my t-shirts were completely soaked and were clinging to my body, my jeans were heavy. The damp clothes had made me cold. My teeth were chattering for quite a while.
I entered the college, completely drenched and headed up to the office. (one thing good is that we are just waved into college on rainy days like this so I didn’t have to open my wet bag and search for what I assumed would be an unrecognizable fee receipt) The wooden flooring was wet, the stench of water on wood hung unpleasantly all along the corridor. Upon entering the college office, I rummaged in my bag and fished out a soaked fee receipt handed it over to the office clerk with a rueful smile and said "couldn't help it Mumbai monsoon" she smiled and nodded back and handed me back my documents which I gave to the BMM admission desk.

The day may not even be one of the most fun monsoon days. But the speeding of the bike along Marine Drive in heavy rain and finally securing a seat in BMM at St. Xavier’s itself and the ride in the fast train are a combination of factors that make this rainy day in June unforgettable. I felt happy as I was could do the course I wanted at the only college I could call home right from day one itself.

I did pay the price for that though as I fell sick in the very first week. That was cured in 3 days, but this memory of monsoon, those 20-30 minutes on the bike riding along marine drive in heavy rain, will last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment